Thursday, July 19, 2012

Excuses, Excuses






I struggle with making excuses. I make excuses and make excuses and then whatever I'm making an excuse for or about never gets done.

My excuse making isn't limited to just one area of my life. I make excuses for why I'm too busy to wash those bottles or excuses for why I shouldn't make the bed. I make excuses for why it is ok if I'm late to work or why it will be fine if I don't grade those papers today. I make excuses about calling friends or helping somebody out.

Lately though, not to brag, but I've been totally rocking in the house cleaning, chore doing, dinner cooking department. Ok, maybe I'm bragging a little bit. Our beds have been made and clothes washed and put away, bottles clean, dinner cooked and ready to eat when hubs gets home, etc. It is easy for me (notice I said me, not everyone else--we all have different situations) to get all this done when I'm at home and not working my full-time job.

So what's the excuse problem? My workouts.

No, seriously. I often find myself making excuses, especially now that I've started the 30 Day Shred Challenge.  Instead of doing it in the morning when I have time, I think, "No, I'll do it later when the kids are sleeping." But then the kids aren't all sleeping at the same time. Or facebook and Pinterest really need my attention ;) Then it doesn't get done and it is 9 or 10 o'clock at night and I'm trying to talk myself out of doing it. I do this with my running too. Because I only run three times a week, I find myself saying, "I'll do it tomorrow." Eventually, the runs get done, but not the way they are intended to be.

I have eventually talked myself into doing the workouts, but I have found, that the excuses are the most difficult part of losing weight for me.

The one thing I have discovered though, is that you have to want to be healthy/skinny/toned/etc. MORE than you want to watch tv or play on the computer or go to bed early. This is something I'm still struggling with, but I know what the solution is.

I'm not perfect and I haven't met my goal yet, but I'm working on it, which is more than I was doing last summer.

No comments: