Thursday, July 28, 2011
I've been talking a lot lately to a good friend of mine who is also pregnant and due just two days before me. She has a daughter about Ansleigh's age and we both want to do something for the girls so they don't feel left out of this momentous occasion.
Therefore, I've decided to do a "Big Sister Gift Bag" or a "New Arrival Present" or something like that. I don't know what to call it. Do you have any ideas?
I know I'm going to get her some little books about being a big sister and put a big sister shirt in there. Maybe a coloring book and a box of crayons for times of boredom. A special snack and juice box? A Barbie/Little Sister combo? I'm still (OBVIOUSLY) developing this idea but I want it to be great. I want her to feel loved while I'm busy pushing a large object out of a very small place.
What would you put in there for your older child?
My mom said she's going to bring Ansleigh a present for her that she can use for her baby (she's getting a Bitty Baby from Lolli & Pop Pop for Christmas.Shhh...don't tell.) like a bottle and a sleeper or something. My mom is a genius. Really, she is.
Thursday, July 14, 2011
I found some templates for daily journaling that I plan on using with my students this year but I thought it would be fun to test them out.
Three animals that I often see around my neighborhood:
1. A mostly black cat with some white on it. Ansleigh says she wants it to be her kitty and has named it Izzy. It is terrified of us but loves our front porch.
2. My neighbor’s scanky dogs. They are disgusting and mean and bark all the time and poop in my yard.
3. Red Birds which remind me of my great-grandmother. I miss her terribly. She was such an awesome old lady and she would adore Ansleigh.
Right now it is summer.
The best things to eat at this time of the year: watermelon, pineapple, fresh steamed veggies, and seafood.
A few of the things I do only at this time of the year: get a tan, catch up on my sleep, and work on projects around the house. I never have time to do any of this during the school year.
One stuffy, dull, administrative-type thing: lesson plans
One marginally interesting thing: working on getting together stuff for my classroom (supplies/decorations/etc.)
One exciting thing (that I will think about while doing the other two things): Ansleigh’s birthday party!!!!!
These are the things that matter:
In my life:
· My faith
· My child
· My family (including the husband)
· My team and my students—knowing that I am making a difference
· Auburn—can’t wait to visit in October!!!!
· Pinterest. I have a problem.
Out there in the world:
· Sweet children who need good homes
· People who are going hungry and without homes
· The environment
Dishwasher or hand wash? Dishwasher—I HATE WASHING DISHES!!!
Mini-golf or bowling? I love mini-golf but I also like to go bowling
Drive-in movie or DVD at home? I’ve never been to the drive-in. I’m a loser, I know.
Road trip or ocean cruise? I hate long trips in cars (have to take anxiety meds) so definitely ocean cruise
Burger and fries or fish and chips? Burger and fries! What kind of weirdo would eat fish and chips?
T-shirt or tank top? T-shirt, preferably an Auburn one
Hoodie or cardigan? Hoodie
Moonlight or candle light? moon
Jogging around the track or down the street? Down the street
Hair: blow dry or air dry? Looks better when I blow it dry but I always air dry it b/c I’m lazy.
Slippers or thick socks? Thick socks
Nose ring or toe ring? Nose
Rainbow or shooting star? Rainbow b/c that means my yard probably just got watered for free!
Paperwork or housework? Paperwork any day!
To find this and more like it, visit www.graceisoverrated.com.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
- The compulsive part of me is really struggling right now because I'm writing these and it isn't a Friday.
- The sane part of me thinks, "Who cares? Nobody is going to remember I used to do these every Friday anyway."
- Summer has made me extremely productive and also extremely lazy. I've gotten a lot done for Ansleigh's party and a lot done this week for the upcoming school year, but I also have been watching tv all day while I do these things.
- I've been Keeping up with the Kardashians. I know. You might as well kill me now but I'm hooked. In about a weeks' time length I watched 30+ episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians AND the whole season of Kourtney and Khole Take Miami.
- I'm such a sucker for celebrity-filmed lives. I need an intervention.
- Kourtney, Khole, and Kris did an intervention for Kim. But that was for shopping.
- I've also become OBSESSED with a website my sister and mom told me about. Pinterest. When I first saw it, I was like, um...what is this thing? Basically it is like an online version of all your favorite magazine clippings, but when you click on them, it takes you to the websites. You create your own "boards" and then "pin" things to them. It is awesome. It has wonderful ideas for birthday parties, awesome clothes, incredible recipes, and tons of pictures of things to go in the house I"ll never be rich enough to own.
- Also, I'm such a fame whore because I'm obsessed with having people follow my boards. Every time I get an email saying I have new followers, I feel giddy.
- Those people may or may not be following me because I followed them first. You know, tracked them down by searching for things I like and then stalking all their boards.
- I found out today that I'm teaching 11th grade Honors English next year and a class of seniors.
- I've always dreamed of teaching seniors. Always. I mean, who wouldn't want to help them learn how to write essays for college, create resumes, fill out college applications, all the while witnessing that senior excitement?
- Once school starts, I will have officially taught all grades 7-12. That is CRAZY to me. I taught 7th & 8th, then 7th, then 10th, then 9th and 10th, and now 11th and 12th.
- We just got back from vacation. It is amazing how having an AWESOME tan makes you feel so much better about yourself. I wonder if I'll still be so happy about my tan when I have skin that looks like beef jerky? Probably. I'll be tan beef jerky. Because that's hot.
- If you have been wondering why you are missing your usual zits you find, it is because they've changed zip codes and have made a permanent residence on MY FACE.
- I tried to count them all, but I lost count.
- One day, I'm going to own a children's clothing store. It's going to be called Friday Afternoon. My first location will be right next door to a Tuesday Morning. I'm going to sell all the stuff my mom makes and brands I want for my child but can't afford so I can get wholesale discounts on all her clothes.
- I'm not kidding.