Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Flattery Will Get You Everywhere...Or The Dean's Office



I have one class of freshmen, and 4 classes of SENIORS this year. I cannot even begin to describe how much I love them. My seniors brighten my day and crack me up all day long. They are awesome. Several of them I taught when they were in tenth grade so that might be why I feel a little more connected.

Last year I was super pregnant all year long.

This year I've come back to compliments galore.

"Mrs. Friday, you look great!"
"Mrs. Friday, you've lost a lot of weight!"
"Mrs. Friday, you're so skinny!"
"Mrs. Friday, there is no way you've had TWO kids!"

I've also gotten a lot of comments from my 18-year-old boys.

"Mrs. Friday, you look NIIIIIIICE today!"
"Mrs. Friday, I'm legal now, you know?"
"Mrs. Friday, you can't come in the classroom. You look too pretty today. We won't learn anything."
"Mrs. Friday, those eyes, you can't look at me with those eyes."
"Mrs. Friday, you can't get glasses. Angels don't need glasses."

These kids are harmless and they say ridiculous things to me (such as suggesting I should quit teaching and be a Victoria's Secret model) mostly just to get a rise out of me, and partially because they have no filters on their mouths and no understanding of what is appropriate and inappropriate.

I appreciate a kid telling me how nice I look or how thin I am just like the next girl, but I'm working on teaching these young gentlemen that being married means something, and if/when they go into the work field, they can't treat their bosses this way. They are reminding me to be VERY cautious in how I dress, not bending over, where I position myself when I'm helping a student, etc.

And just to be clear, I'm not the only teacher that gets hit on. Pretty much if you teach and aren't 85 years old, you'll get hit on. I am not writing this to let people know how hot kids think I am or how popular I am at school. I realize I am not the only one that this happens to. My point is, these kids have really made me feel good about myself and when they say this stuff to me, I can't help but laugh at them because they are so funny when they say it.

I've decided to keep a log of all the insane things they say to me so that one day when I'm fat, and old, and ugly, I can read it and remember all these things and laugh.

1 comment:

w said...

lol. you *are* hot.